Amarillo Historical Heritage!

The turn of the century saw rapid development in the Texas Panhandle, ranging from the growth of the cattle industry to the discovery of oil and gas. Harrington House represents both eras. Built in 1914 by cattlemen John and Pat Landergin, the House was acquired in 1940 and preserved by Don and Sybil Harrington, leaders in the oil and gas industry and generous contributors to numerous philanthropic causes. Harrington House is a fine example of the Neoclassical style, with exquisite materials and workmanship prevalent throughout the home. The Reception Hall is resplendent with original tapestry wall covering, 18th century parquet de Verailles flooring and...

Learn More About the Harrington House

TAKE ATOUR OF
THE HARRINGTON
HISTORICAL HOUSE.

The History of the Home

Harrington House

Pat and John Landergin were Kansas cattlemen who came to the Panhandle of Texas in the early 1900’s and purchased ranch land west of Amarillo. They were successful in this venture, and in 1912 they purchased four lots in Amarillo on which to build a home.

The architectural firm of Shepard, Farrar, and Wiser of Kansas City, Missouri was engaged to draw plans for the house, and in 1913 building was underway. Furnishings and interior design were also by a Kansas City firm, the Robert Keith Furniture and Carpet Company.

The house was completed and occupied by the summer of 1914, but by 1929 all members of the immediate Landergin family were deceased. Little more is known about the house until it was purchased in 1940 by Don and Sybil Harrington.

The Harringtons

Don and Sybil Harrington

Mr. and Mrs. Don D. Harrington’s extensive contributions to a wide range of civic, cultural and medical initiatives helped shape the future. Throughout their lives the Harringtons received many awards and tributes for their exceptional gifts. As patrons of the arts, the Harringtons were willing not only to acquire, but to share, their remarkable fine and decorative arts collections.

Mr. and Mrs. Harrington’s philanthropy began in 1945 with a gift of land to the Llano Estacado Council of the Boy Scouts of America. Camp Don Harrington was the first in a long history of personal gifts and grants, which now exceed $400 million, from The Don and Sybil Harrington Foundation. Today, the Harrington legacy continues to provide a better quality of life in the Texas Panhandle.

Don Harrington arrived in Amarillo in 1926, during the oil and gas boom in the Texas Panhandle. His business capabilities and work ethic, combined with those of partners Lawrence Hagy and Stanley Marsh, Jr., ultimately made him one of the giants in the petroleum industry.